I could say blogging is like daily affirmations. But for me its mostly a way of documenting what I love most- being artistic. I hope it brings you a little inspiration.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The DIY Wedding- Stage 2

Growing up my Mom was quite the hostess. There were few Saturday evenings when we were home alone as our house became a social gathering spot for everyone after church. She would dress the table in the early morning adding little details like those vintage salt and pepper shakers or a well placed spoon. One fixture we were never out of was napkin rings of every imaginable shape and size. To this day I'm still fond of them so for my wedding although extremely low budget, as we've already discussed I decided to make some. I'll fill you in on the how to as well!
Materials you will need:
2"x 2" wood squares (I had an old stair rail that I carefully cut with a miter saw to a 1/2" thick but you will also find what you need at hobby and craft stores although England is lacking them quite horribly.)
hot glue and a hot glue gun
fabric of your choice
spool of matching thread
an additional embellishment of your choice ( I chose feathers)
twine
pinking shear
scissors
Step 1: cut your fabric into small circles ( I used my large spool of thread as a guide) as you will be using these as the petals of flowers. You will use 10 per flower bunch so calculate how many napkin rings you will need then multiply that number by 10. You will also need circles for the base of each napkin ring so tack on a few extra for that.
Step 2: Start heating up you glue gun at this point. Take your twine and cut strings 8" long, you will be using these as ties around the napkin rings.

Step 3: Now this is where having a quick hand comes in. Take a square of your wood and hot glue a small dollop in the center then place the twine across it and press down with your finger to secure. Next add a spiral of glue on top of the twine and place a single fabric circle on top and press down to secure. It should look like this:
Step 4: Flip the base over and inspect your handiwork. Is the twine in the center and attached firmly? Great! Now lets attach a feather across the center and towards a corner. Next glue one of your pre-made flowers (I used this tutorial from Oncewed  http://www.oncewed.com/23104/wedding-blog/diy-wedding/diy-miniature-fabric-flower-garland/ ) on top of the feather. Your feather should be poking out so that its visible but not sticking out too much. Unless you prefer it that way by all means. Let it dry and you're done!

That's all for now, the husband is home, happy creating!

1 comment: